Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pond Project - Day 1

Unschoolers with time on their hands - it's a beautiful thing.




Several years ago Brady and our neighbor Ben decided to build an underground fort. They grabbed spades and set off for the wild area of our land, staked out a spot, and started digging. We adults doubted they'd last - digging is difficult work. But day after day they worked on the hole. Some days they dug for hours, other days only for a short while. But they dug almost every day. The days turned into weeks. The hole got so deep they could barely get out, and they'd leave a 2"x4" across the top so they could swing their way out, high bar-style. Then one day, they really couldn't get out and had to etch steps into the sides. Grandma worried about the walls caving in and urged reinforcement. I suggested they build a roof for it soon lest the rains come and fill it up. And one day, when the hole was about 4' x 10' and over 6' deep, the rains did come and suddenly the fort was a giant make-shift puddle and the project was abandoned.

The hole is still there. "Dat's where we hide da bodies" has become the joke, and I sometimes think I should mark it with police tape or something. Not only because it would be funny, but because the thing is a serious hazard, a very deep hole shaded by weeds and long grasses, lying in wait for some unsuspecting dog, hiker, or small child.


So it wasn't entirely astonishing when these same two boys, now 14, with stubbly facial hair and deep voices, to come to me late yesterday afternoon and tell me they are bored, need a project, and want to dig a pond for me.

Cool. I'll fetch the shovels.

I'd talked of wanting a pond, but never too seriously. Rob and I aren't very good Do-It-Yourself-ers, and while I'd checked out several library books on the subject and stared longingly at the pond kits at Menards a few times, that's as far as I'd ever gotten. I'd really love a big pond, one that isn't landscaped and looks like it's been there forever. But alas, we live high on a hilltop and it would be something of an expensive feat to do that.

We walked the yard in search of a good spot. It has to be close enough for us to enjoy, but not in the way of any traffic pattern. It needs access to electricity for the pump, but we can't disturb any existing gas lines. We settled for a spot right next to the front porch which will nestle in nicely with my other somewhat-purty landscaping, and will provide a nice view from the screened-in porch we hope to build someday.

They boys asked what shape I wanted and I told them to surprise me. They wondered about size and I told them to be sure I could get one swipe of the lawnmower on either side. And they set about digging. They worked for about 2 hours, listening to music and laughing and talking. They grumbled about my picture-taking, but then got excited about having photo documentation for every stage.



I don't know how I got lucky enough to have a kid who likes to dig holes, but I'm pretty happy I did.

Our new pond will go here! ----->


**This post is one of many linked from Unschooling Voices, where a new unschooling topic is discussed each month. Thanks to Joanne for compiling the information and for the Thinking Blogger Award! Cool.




1 comment:

Silvia said...

That is just awesome! Do you think they'd come to Virginia and dig another pond when they're done?